Friday 20 June 2014

Kyoto

'For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards; for there you have been, and there, you will long to return.'



After having travelled for quite a bit, my heart always returns to Japan (and London). I was sorting through my restaurant and food review photos in Sydney (stay tuned for more) when I started flicking through some old photos from a couple of years ago. I really wanted to share Kyoto in Autumn with you for its tranquility and vibrance. I think Japan is one of those rare places that has the beauty of spring, summer, autumn and winter of equal duration, so you will always have a different experience if you go at different points during the year. These must have been taken around late October. 


How can anyone not love the architecture in Kyoto? It makes my heart go all warm and fuzzy partly for personal reasons, and partly because I grew up in the era of Digimon, Cardcaptor and all things magical, so it feels sort of surreal to see anime houses come to life!

I keep on sidetracking! Main point, this is Kiyomizu-michi, one of the main shopping streets leading towards Kiyomizu Temple, lined with boutiques selling yutakas, handmade crafts, Japanese confectionary, sake-infused delights; I would recommend anyone who's remotely anywhere near Kyoyo to make a special detour just to walk up this pebble path. I woke up especially early (around 7.00am) to watch the street come alive, geishas came out of their houses one by one, windows were being lifted as shops began to open for business, lights were flickering, and all of this people watching was conducted under a clear umbrella in the pouring rain. I can't quite pinpoint the exact feeling, but there's a romance to it.

Halfway up I got distracted by a side street headed straight towards this park, so we had breakfast here then continued our journey.

Around 10.00am people started appearing, I swear I had a bao-overdose. I bought buns and dumplings from every shop we passed, and as for the tea houses along the way, naturally, I had tea in all of them. This would explain why, after three hours, we still hadn't made it to Kiyomizu Temple yet!

When we finally climbed up to the top, the rain was still going strong. All the travellers huddled up under the pagoda, sharing their stories whilst waiting for the rain to stop.































At the end of our hike around the temple, we came across the fountain of youth. There are three streams and you are only allowed to drink from one. One stream will bring youth, health and happiness, one success in your job and the last, true love.































Coming out of Kiyomizu temple, you will spot Jishu Jinja Shrine, a hotspot for all couples. The talisman here are very reliable, it is said that if you come together and touch the sacred stone from the entrance of the temple, walk in a straight line and arrive at its matching counterpart at the end with your eyes closed, your wish will be granted.



Foxes are very popular shrine guardians across Japan.

We started to make our way back to the city centre, hunting for lunch. I got us lost again since there's always a back alley I want to explore or someone's back garden I was to see. I am so glad I got us lost, and so was my companion. This should be a world heritage or one of the wonders of the world, it's just too beautiful to be true. And someone wakes up to this every morning!
































I took the liberty of being a forest faerie in their garden, admiring every rock and tree and creature. I could really get used to this.





















Love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment